[Press.Release] Zero Fatalities, Zero Tolerance: Colorado State Patrol statewide enforcement efforts this weekend

press.release at cdps-l.state.co.us press.release at cdps-l.state.co.us
Wed Apr 23 19:52:49 MDT 2014

*Colorado State Patrol*

*Press Release*

www.csp.state.co.us

 *Sergeant Mike Baker*
*Public Information Officer*

*303-239-4583 <303-239-4583>*

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:                      Date:     April 24, 2014
   Time:

8 p.m.

Troopers statewide will participate in a high-visibility, strict
enforcement operation beginning Friday night, April 25, through Monday
morning.  Every uniformed member and communication officer in the Colorado
State Patrol will work through the weekend, supporting the operation's
"Zero Fatalities, Zero Tolerance" title.

The operation's goal is to utilize every resource available to actively
prevent fatal crashes over the weekend and to demonstrate the effect of a
unified enforcement effort throughout the state.

"The men and women of the Colorado State Patrol work hard every day to keep
our roadways safe for everyone," said Colonel Scott Hernandez, Chief of the
Colorado State Patrol.  "I encourage our Troopers to have zero tolerance
for driving behaviors that endanger motorists on our state's roadways, as
we strive towards zero fatalities."

Compared to the first quarter of 2013, in 2014, Troopers have increased the
number of citations issued for proactive DUI/D arrests (by 12.8%), speeding
(17.2%), and seatbelt violations (14.9%), while increasing misdemeanor and
felony arrests by 7%.  The number of fatal crashes also dropped 25.5% from
2013 to 2014 during the first quarter.

"I am very proud of our efforts to improve traffic safety," Hernanez said,
"and I believe that our continued enforcement and educational programs will
save lives every hour of every day."

The statewide enforcement effort begins

at 6 p.m. on Friday, running until 12 a.m. Monday morning.

Media ride-alongs for the media will be available (when possible) upon
request for Saturday and Sunday.  Interested media outlets should contact
the on-call PIO at 303-239-4583 by no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, April
25, to discuss and facilitate a ride-along.

  *###*

 *Date of Incident:     April 25-27, 2014*

Draft Release

*Initial Release*

Case Report Number:

*Public Release*